Job Title: Director of Operations
Reports to: General Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervisory Responsibility: Director of Artistic Administration & Production Manager
Opera Omaha is one of the nation's most revered music and cultural institutions, internationally recognized for its productions of eight world premieres and four American premieres of classical masterpieces, and is highly regarded regionally for extensive education and outreach programs that reach a diverse audience.
Opera Omaha produces a season of original main stage productions, presented at the historic Orpheum Theater, and smaller productions and musical events throughout the community.
The culture of Opera Omaha is vibrant, inclusive and adventurous.
General Position Summary
The Director of Operations leads and oversees all aspects of the company’s artistic and production activities encompassing mainstage performances as well as the development and execution of designated community engagement initiatives and performances, educational programs and special events. He/She is a key participant in artistic and strategic planning for the organization.
Essential Functions/Major responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
The Director of Operations works in close partnership with the General Director, the Managing Director, the Director of Finance and HR, and other members of the senior staff to develop and advance the company’s artistic mission and institutional vision. He/She is an innovative, organized and results-oriented person; thinks strategically, has strong interpersonal skills as well as excellent analytical, organizational, reasoning and problem solving abilities. He/She is responsible for establishing communication and mutual respect with all staff to ensure harmonious functioning between all departments of the company.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Engage in an adaptive strategy process with General Director and senior staff, focusing on achieving Opera Omaha’s short-term and long-term organizational vision, mission, goals and objectives.
- Work closely with the General Director in repertoire planning and development of programming; identify and recommends artists.
- Communicate and consult regularly with the Director of Artistic Administration to oversee all artistic and music aspects of the company.
- Communicate and consult regularly with the Production Manager to oversee all technical aspects of the company.
- Integral in the development of new Opera Omaha initiatives including an annual spring festival, community artist program, and community co-productions
- Lead the Operations department in research and exploration of new venues for company initiatives.
- Negotiate contracts with key organizational partners as necessary, including but not limited to performance venues (such as the Orpheum Theater), festival sites, orchestras (such as the Omaha Symphony), labor unions (such as IATSE), commissions of new works (via publishers, composers, librettists), as well as the rental and royalty agreements for existing works.
- Negotiate company media content rights and obligations for promotional, educational, archival and/or commercial uses.
- Lead and manage the budgeting process and cash flow projections for the Operations department; control expenditures to operate within budget.
- Work closely with the Production Manager to manage the process by which the company obtains and awards bids for designs.
- Work closely with the Managing Director, the Engagement Programs Manager, and other department heads as appropriate to ensure seamless integration of all departments’ efforts on community engagement initiatives and performances, educational programs, and select special events (such as the annual Gala).
- Work closely with the Director of Artistic Administration and the Production Manager to develop and create the rehearsal schedule and performance calendar for the Operations department.
- Supervise the performance of the Director of Artistic Administration and Production Manager; provide leadership, motivation, and strategic direction needed to ensure the effective pursuit of departmental and organizational goals.
- Ultimately responsible for the performance and evaluation of all artistic and technical personnel reporting to Director of Artistic Administration and Production Manager including Union crews and/or others engaged by venues.
- Attend Opera Omaha performances and events; participate in Board and committee meetings as assigned; represent Opera Omaha at civic and cultural events demonstrating the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct.
- Perform other functions and duties as assigned by the General Director.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree in arts administration or related degree a strong plus.
- Minimum 7 years of non-profit performing arts management experience required with proven track record in organizational advancement and staff leadership.
- Experience with non-profit Boards and volunteers.
- Demonstrated skills in organizational infrastructure, and long-range planning and implementation.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Advanced knowledge of opera, theatre, and producing
- Excellent interpersonal, planning, organizational and time management skills
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills
- Ability to listen and to manage staff relationships with integrity, honesty and humor
- Demonstrated success motivating and developing staff, crew, and volunteers.
- Positive attitude and willingness to be a contributing team member; flexible and resilient – comfortable embracing change
- Unwavering commitment and loyalty to the organization
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as required
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Jenny Daggett, Director of Finance and Human Resources: email@example.com. Please include "Director of Operations” in the subject line of the email.